Hey. I’m Cody, owner of Louisville Web Nerds. Since 2001, I’ve been building all kinds of different websites. From hobby websites to personal blogs to small business websites, all the way up to enterprise level websites with millions of readers.
It wasn’t until 2012 that I started charging for these services on the side. I had always just done them as a part of my job, or just because I enjoyed it. I learned a lot of useful skills along the way, enough to land me a Web Project Manager job at one of the largest electronic component manufacturers in the world.
Yet, I still enjoyed the side jobs. Eventually enough people continued to ask me to help them with their websites that I ended up making some pretty decent money from it, and I was able to help a lot of people along the way.
I’ve always had multiple side projects since I can remember, but when my daughter was born in 2017, it became very clear to me that I needed to give her as much attention as possible. So I abandoned all of my side projects and Louisville Web Nerds was officially born with a few key themes. Here were the rules, pulled directly from my initial Evernote Notebook.
- This will always be a “side gig” with low overhead and an easily manageable number of clients.
- Serving clients comes before creating new business. This will never be an overpriced agency with insane overhead. Never.
- I’m not allowed to spend more than 10 hours per week on LWN activity.
- Expenses will be kept low, so client pricing can be kept low.
- No “needy” and unreasonable clients, no matter how much they’re willing to pay. These defeat the essence of a side business and jeopardize service for everyone.
- Clients will never be sold on services they don’t need for their business to operate
- Lastly, this has to be fun. If at any point it’s not, I have to take a step back to figure out why, and fix it.
All of this adds up to a win/win situation. You get the website services you need for a reasonable price (1/4 or less of what many agencies will charge) and I get to continue to do what I love and provide my family with a little extra income to live a more comfortable life.
If that sounds alright with you, email me and let’s chat and we’ll see if we can build something. If not, no hard feelings and I wish you the best!